August 25, 2010
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), through its partnership with Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR), is appealing to its members for financial support for relief operations underway to assist the people of Pakistan.
“As we continue to hear more about the devastating effects that flooding has had on Pakistan, it is important that we help our brothers and sisters,” says ELCIC National Bishop Susan C. Johnson. “We are asking all ELCIC members to keep the people of Pakistan in their prayers and assist with the need for emergency assistance by donating to the appeal.”
Heavy monsoon rains in Pakistan, which began on July 21, 2010, have caused the worst flooding in at least 80 years, leaving millions of people in need of emergency assistance. The floods, triggered by heavy monsoon rain, have forced 2 million people from their homes and affected about 14 million people. Floods have now inundated hundreds of square kilometers of Asia – from Pakistan’s northwest, to southern coastal states of India - and are likely to worsen.
The ELCIC and CLWR work in effective partnership to challenge the causes and respond to the consequences of injustice and poverty. Funds received by CLWR will be channeled through the ACT Alliance, a 142 member international ecumenical coalition. ACT member Church World Service was on the ground when the floods began and is providing front line emergency food and health aid.
This aid includes distribution of seventy tons of food items in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa which is complete, and an additional seventy tons of food items will be distributed in Allai. Procurement of an additional 490 tons of food items is underway. Health services are being provided as needed. Current flood-related assistance is reaching 155,200 beneficiaries in Khyber Pakthunkhwa and Balochistan.
In order to better respond to the needs of the people of Pakistan, the Government of Canada will match eligible donations made from August 2 until September 12, 2010.
Donations may be made in the following ways:
- ELCIC members are asked to donate to the appeal by making a designated offering donation for “Pakistan Flood 2010” through their ELCIC congregation.
- Donations may also be made through CLWR.
- Online at www.clwr.org/donate. Chose the “General Donation” option. On the form's drop-down menu, chose Pakistan Flood 2010.
- By credit card over the phone by calling toll-free: 1.800.661.2597. If you do not need to use a toll-free line or are calling locally from the Winnipeg area, call: 204.694.5602.
- By sending a cheque made payable to CLWR to 303-392 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6. Please indicate in your correspondence that you wish to contribute to Pakistan Flood 2010.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is Canada's largest Lutheran denomination with 152,500 baptized members in 607 congregations. It is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, the Canadian Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches.
Material provided through ELCIC Information is intended for reproduction and redistribution by recipients in whatever manner they may find useful.
For more information, please contact:
Trina Gallop, Director of Communications
302-393 Portage Ave. Winnipeg MB R3B 3H6
Subscribe or unsubscribe to ELCIC Information by emailing email@example.com with a short message.