February 15, 2011
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), through its partnership with Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR), is appealing to its members for financial support for relief operations underway to assist the people of Colombia.
Over two million people in northern and central Colombia are affected by the country’s worst flooding in over 30 years. Heavy rains that began in April 2010 due to the La Nina weather phenomenon has left almost 300 people dead. Hundreds of thousands of Colombians are living in temporary shelters and relying on food aid. Approximately 680,000 hectares of farmland has been destroyed.
A release from ACT Alliance notes the rains in this region are expected to continue until the second quarter of 2011. To date, more than half the municipalities are already affected, continues the release. The main dam in the Atlantic Region is damaged and is contributing to the floods in the worst-affected area.
Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) has issued an appeal for financial support for relief operations underway to assist the people of Colombia. CLWR, through its membership in the ACT Alliance, a 100 member international ecumenical coalition, will take emergency and rehabilitation action in the regions most affected by the weather.
Since 2003, the ELCIC's Synod of Alberta and the Territories has been in a Companion Synod relationship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia (Iglesia Evangelica Luterana de Colombia).
Donations may be made in the following ways:
- ELCIC members are asked to donate to the appeal by making a designated offering donation for “Colombia Flood 2011 Relief” through their ELCIC congregation.
- Donations may also be made through CLWR.
- Online at www.clwr.org/donate. Choose the “General Donation” option. On the form's drop-down menu, chose Colombia Flood 2011 Relief .
- By credit card over the phone by calling toll-free: 1.800.661.2597. If you do not need to use a toll-free line or are calling locally from the Winnipeg area, call: 204.694.5602.
- By sending a cheque made payable to CLWR to 302-393 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6. Please indicate in your correspondence that you wish to contribute to Colombia Flood 2011 Relief .
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is Canada's largest Lutheran denomination with 152,500 baptized members in 607 congregations. It is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, the Canadian Council of Churches and the World Council of Churches.
Material provided through ELCIC Information is intended for reproduction and redistribution by recipients in whatever manner they may find useful.
For more information, please contact:
Trina Gallop, Director of Communications
302-393 Portage Ave. Winnipeg MB R3B 3H6
Subscribe or unsubscribe to ELCIC Information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a short message.