Help plant 500,000 trees
A tree is a gift in so many ways; absorbing carbon dioxide, retaining soil, providing shade, being beautiful. The world needs more trees.
Where do you see a need for trees? Where could you plant them? In your neighbourhood, at your congregation or around the world? The ELCIC encourages our members to find diverse ways to gift the world with trees.
Plant trees around your church, community, home, etc... in Canada or consider supporting one of the following two opportunities to help us reach this goal:
- The Environmental Education Centre (EEC) in Beit Jala, Palestine plants olive trees. These trees create more green spaces in Palestine and combat climate change. It costs the EEC $12 per tree, which includes students participating in the tree planting process.
- Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) through The Lutheran World Federation, will be planting a total of 150,000 tree seedlings in the upcoming two planting seasons (2015 and 2016) in Lalibela, Ethiopia. A total of 60 hectares of degraded land will be covered with trees in the two-year period. $50 provides for a grove of 50 trees.
To support this area of the ELCIC Reformation Challenge you can:
- Plant trees in where you live, at your congregation and in your community.
- Give a designated donation to "Reformation Challenge - Trees" either online or through your congregation.
- Donate through CLWR for planting trees in Ethiopia.