A NEWS RELEASE
From Global Hunger and Development Appeal (GHDA)
Winnipeg, January 5, 2005 (ELCIC)--Today a donation of just over $6,000 was sent to Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) from the GHDA Emergency Disaster Fund.
Many donations from individuals have been arriving at the ELCIC National Office. [$20, 870.15 as of today] All designated as relief to the disaster in the Indian Ocean are being forwarded to CLWR. As Synod offices and congregational leaders share news from our offices and offer members the opportunity to donate, an even more generous response is expected.
The prime purpose of GHDA, as it relates to disaster relief, is communication and education. Regular news releases and an e-mail newsletter are sharing news as it is learned. Synod offices forward the news releases to their congregations. The newsletter goes to subscribers. Subscribe on-line at http://www.elcic.ca/ghda/enews.html
CLWR is the delivery arm for GHDA - taking your donations and transforming the money into aid where and how it is most needed.
CLWR, in turn, works closely with trusted partners who have experience in the regions and communities affected, understand the local culture and are able to respond quickly. They often have roots in the local churches but help people who are suffering, regardless of faith or politics.
CLWR's main partner in these emergencies is Action by Churches Together (ACT), a global alliance of church organizations. ACT members in Asia responding to this disaster include:
- The National Christian Council of Sri Lanka
- Church's Auxiliary for Social Action in India
- United Evangelical Lutheran Church in India
- Church World Service Indonesia
- Yakkum Emergency Unit/CD Bethesda in Indonesia
- Yayasan Tanggul Benkana in Indonesia
All member churches and related agencies of the World Council of Churches
and the Lutheran World Federation
are members of ACT International.
For details, visit http://www.clwr.org/
You may donate to GHDA at any time in three ways:
1. Make a donation, appropriately marked, at your congregation (in the offering plate or to the office)
2. Mail a cheque to GHDA, 302-393 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6
3. Donate on-line at http://www.elcic.ca/ghda/