Participants in the Missionary and Mission Sponsorship Program help provide financial and prayer support for short-term and long-term salaried missionaries or local mission pastors and develop closer ties with them. This is an opportunity for members of the ELCIC to join in partnership with a particular missionary or local mission pastor and their work.
Why sponsor a missionary?
- You have the joy and excitement of being a partner in mission in another land.
- It gives you contact with a missionary or local mission pastor through letters and other forms of correspondence.
- You celebrate and rejoice in the gifts which God has given us to carry out our mission in the world today.
What will you receive as sponsor?
- A photograph and biographical information.
- Periodic newsletters.
- Visits and presentations during home leave or speaking tours in Canada, insofar as possible.
Who can participate?
- Individuals, groups within congregations, congregations, clusters of congregations, or conferences.
How much does it cost?
- Congregations are encouraged to begin with $500 or multiples although smaller gifts from individuals or groups are equally welcome.
- Full financial support is about $24,000 per year ($66 per day) for a short-term missionary, $66,000 ($180 per day) for a long-term missionary and $12,000 ($33 per day) for a local mission pastor.
- Missionary and Mission Sponsorship is second-mile giving and not intended to substitute for regular benevolence giving.
What are the responsibilities of a sponsor?
- Pray for and correspond with your missionary or local mission pastor.
- Be aware of what is happening in their ministry and their church and country.
- Read and circulate the newsletters they send to Canada.
- Invite them for a visit and presentation during their home leave or speaking tour in Canada.
Who chooses the missionary?
- You do, from a list provided by ELCIC Mission in the World staff. Contact the Mission in the World office for a current list of ELCIC missionaries and partner church missions and visit our web site: www.elcic.ca/world