E–Communiqué is sent out electronically by the National Office of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. It is available to all congregational contact persons and others interested in new and seasonally–appropriate resources from the ELCIC. E–Communiqué will appear in your email in–box approximately every 9 weeks.
Follow the live links in this bulletin to read, print, cut and paste or link to other sites. If you prefer to receive the resources in print, order using the information below. This newsletter may be printed, photocopied and distributed. We encourage you to send us the email addresses of other leaders in your congregation who could benefit from this information. Of course, you can stop receiving it at any time by sending us the message "Unsubscribe E–Communiqué" with your first and last name or the name of your church and city.
Inside this bulletin:
Mission in the World (back to top)
- Volunteers in Mission (VIM) share their Christian faith, skills and time in other countries and other parts of Canada for periods of six months to two years. You are invited to "put VIM in your life" and become a Volunteer in Mission. An updated list of opportunities and an information package is available from the Program Coordinator, Kelvin Krieger (email@example.com) or ext 164 at the National Office.
- In the Companion Synod Program two ELCIC Synods have already signed covenants; the Eastern Synod with the Lutheran Church in Guyana and the SK Synod with the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Argentina. The other three Synods are actively working on companion relationships; MNO Synod with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Cameroon, ABT Synod with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia and BC Synod with the Peruvian Evangelical Lutheran Church. Covenants will be signed for all three at special events this summer. Contact the appropriate Synod Office to find out about these events.
- The ELCIC in Mission web site http://www.elcic.ca/mission has a new look and a new resource, the Mission in the World Update. Recent postings of the Update contain news and notes about our international mission program as well as prayer requests for missionaries and partner churches.
Kairos: (back to top)
- Many fine resources are available for study groups, your social action team or for individuals. Order on line at http://www.kairoscanada.org/english/resources/index.htm. (link inactive 05-26-04) or phone 1.877.403–8933 ext 246 and ask them to mail you a brochure.
- Fall regional meetings all set to go: These gatherings are opportunities for learning and community–building, and will take place in September and October. A new flyer complete with all dates, locations, and contact people can be downloaded from: http://www.kairoscanada.org/docs/2003RegionalMeetings.pdf link inactive(05-26-04)
Youth (back to top)
- Listen Up! The Program Committee for Youth Ministry (PCYM) invites you to visit the Deeper website http://youth.elcic.ca/ The site has been updated with information and the logo for the next Canadian Lutheran Youth Gathering, to be held in Hamilton. Deeper is the online resource for Lutheran youth and youth leaders across Canada, sponsored by the ELCIC.
- No sound on the CRY OUT Video? Check your copy and contact Elaine Sauer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a replacement copy as soon as possible.
- Jerusalem Pilgrimage: Jason Anderson, a seminary student at Lutheran Theological Seminary was the ELCIC representative on the LWF Pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Watch the youth website for a statement from the participants. http://youth.elcic.ca
- National Youth Project Update: 2002–2004 Project: Ending Violence –– This project is currently under review. Watch the website for details http://youth.elcic.ca
- Peer Ministry Facilitator Training Event: November 9–13, 2003 at Camp Kuriakos – Sylvan Lake, AB. Cost: $500 plus materials (approx. $100). For more information or to register contact Pastor James Hendricksen (780) 988–5446 or email: email@example.com More information will be available soon. Watch for info on our website or visit http://www.peerministry.org
Did you know that the Communiqué also appears in each issue of Canada Lutheran? If you know people who do not use the Internet yet, be sure to point out that they can read the news in print.
Attention Men: (back to top)
All Lutheran and Anglican men are invited by the SK Men's Ministry Committee to a Fall Men's Retreat, October 17–19, near Regina. Guest Presenter is Dr. Erwin Buck, New Testament Professor at Lutheran Theological Seminary, Saskatoon. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1–306–757–9134.
Connect (back to top)
The third issue of Connect, published jointly by ELCIC, CLWR and LC–C, and featuring stories and photos of the mission accomplished through your gifts to GHDA, was mailed to your congregation in early June. Please encourage all your members to take a copy home. http://www.elcic.ca/ghda/resources.html
A sample pack containing Stewardship theme material was mailed to your congregation in June. Please share it with church leadership and make your orders soon. http://www.elcic.ca/stewardship/strategy/2003.cfm.
October 19–26, 2003 is Religious Awareness Week offers an opportunity to recognize the value of spiritual and religious care and to honour those who provide it. Information and resources are available at http://www.omc.ca/sandrcare/ October 5–11 is Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW). For information and resources, visit http://www.cpa-apc.org/miaw/miaw.asp
World Council of Churches: The latest issue of WCC News is now posted at http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/news/periodicals-e.html. Inside Issue NÂ°11 – May 2003: Iraq: Energy for peace; Pentecost message 2003; Christians in Asia are not alone; IMF–WB–WCC dialogue continues; Summer seminars at Bossey; WCC and AACC address Ivory Coast crisis; People; Latin American churches propose globalizing the fullness of life; Mission and evangelism conference; Fellowship and finances guide decision to relocate some WCC offices; New African fellowship; China Christian Council. Also available in print from the National Office Orders Desk, in English or French: #1805A $1.00
Luther League Legacy Fund: (back to top)
In June 2002 the Luther League Legacy Fund was established to benefit the ELCIC through youth leadership training and development. Established as an endowed fund of the ELCIC, it recognizes the role played by the young men and women who contributed to the life of the ELCIC's predecessor bodies through the organization known as Luther League. The Fund is dedicated to the glory of God for the furtherance of Christ's mission in the church. Donations to this fund can be made through the national office of the ELCIC. For more information: http://www.elcic.ca/events/2002Luther/LLfund.html or email@example.com
Employment Opportunity: (back to top)
The MNO Synod is looking for a Youth Ministry Facilitator/Campus Chaplain to serve as a member of the synod staff team. The person filling this position will provide ministry as a Synod Youth Ministry Facilitator on a basis of 50% of full time and ministry as a Campus Chaplain at University of Manitoba and University of Winnipeg on a basis of 50% of full time. A full position description is available on request from the MNO Synod Office (204–889–3760) or e–mail firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open to ordained clergy or qualified lay persons. Please forward resumé and covering letter by July 15, 2003 to: Bishop Richard Smith, Manitoba/Northwestern Ontario Synod, 201–3657 Roblin Blvd, Winnipeg, MB, R3R OE2
Mousepad: (back to top)
The list of ELCIC email addresses is growing! More and more congregations have identified at least one person who can receive and share news electronically. The information that you are reading also appears in each issue of Canada Lutheran. Email gives you the additional ease of linking directly to the suggested Internet sites, downloading what you want, printing multiple copies for the leaders in your congregation or cutting and pasting for your newsletter or bulletin.
The E–Communique is currently sent to more than 850 addresses. We try to be clear and concise, avoiding fancy formatting that may arrive incorrectly on your screen. This is a business document and we know that you have limited time to read it. Until now the e–bulletin has arrived on the same schedule as Canada Lutheran, but the email network is growing into a convenient way to share news at other times as well. The e–bulletin may also hold more items and/or details than one magazine page allows. We hope that you will consider asking your congregational leaders to subscribe to the E–Communique. If, however, they still need to receive materials in print, through the regular mail, we will do our best to assist that. A phone call to the Orders Desk will still find a friendly voice. (Matt 7:7)
Some of the resources mentioned are available from the ELCIC national office. If you prefer to order those materials in print, phone 1.888.786.6707 extension 177 or 204.984.9177; email email@example.com; or fax your order to 204.984.9185 "Attn Orders Desk". Be sure to fully describe the item and tell us the quantity you need. You will be invoiced when the order is filled.
Established September, 1995. Page revised May 24, 2005.
Copyright © 2005 Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.